Thursday, October 2, 2008

Why we do this (part 2) & 12 Hour Race Preview

i was with a group of people after a workout one night and we were all discussing a couple of recent events and training runs that had really been hard, difficult, etc...for each of us in different ways. someone said, "Man, aren't we supposed to enjoy this stuff." I thought to myself, she's absolutely right, so I put my headphones on and ran home. this goes back to my original point of wanting to push the body to its physical and mental limits by undertaking these events. sure, sometimes training can wear you down, injuries happen, sickness happens, we sacrifice other extracurricular activities sometimes, but in the end we have an understanding of our heart, mind, and our will to endure.

12 Hour Children's Hospital Race Preview
so, it's 2 days away from my 12 hour race and i'm a little anxious for a few reasons:
  • training has been suspect lately (work, work travel, injury, personal life busy, etc...)
  • important people in my life have donated money supporting this cause on my behalf
  • typical pre race/event jitters
  • logistical, race is in Woodsfield, OH which is 7-8 hours driving from CP, IN.

Anyways, i have been through events longer than this and i have done some different training runs this year than normal including many more speedwork sessions which have beeen high intensity workouts. they have supplemented my typical plogging/jogging/run-walk/trot workouts that i normally do.

Right now my plan is to go out a little harder than most people probably will but i have to get a groove going. I been through 50 milers and 100k's and started off in pace mode and it took it's tole on me early in terms of dragging....so I'm going go out harder and then work the pace work back in after about the first hour. Weather looks to be similar to what we are getting in Chicagoland area from low of 40 to high of 70 but sunny...i'm hoping to stay in the 50-60 range for a while as i dont do well with heat. I'll be changing clothes often to avoid chaffing and avoid being uncomfortable. it should be an easy race to crew since it is a 1/2 mile loop and we return by the crew every lap...wont have to carry water with me, and will focus on hydrating early and often. I'll be strategically making myself stop and sit down at every hour at the 45 minute mark to change, rest, hydrate, eat, smile, laugh, cry, eliminate waste, talk, enjoy, etc...

Goals of event:

  1. have fun (i also plan to get my fiancee Jessica to run 10-20 miles throughout day)
  2. complete 50 miles (current road 50 mile road personal record = 8hours 56 minutes)
  3. complete 60 miles (this is only a 12 minute mile pace)
  4. complete 26 miles in 4 hours
  5. complete 50 miles in under 8hours45minutes...this would put me on pace to be closer to 65-70 mile race

Different strategies to potentially be used:

  • Run 9 minutes, walk 1 minute
  • Run 8 minutes, walk 2 minutes
  • Run 1 mile, walk 2 minutes
  • Run 25 minutes, walk 5 minutes

Wish me luck.

Later.

No comments: