Tuesday, November 4, 2008

47 is 47...my 12 Hour run Recap - Part 1

so again, i have let myself down by not keeping up with thi sblog, but there has been a lot going on and a lot has happened in my world, the endurance world, well...just the world in general.

on October 4th, I had my 12 hour run that i originally had real high hopes for; this post will serve as the recap of that adventure. On Thursday, my crew (mom, Jessica, Cadence) left Cp for Richmond, IN to cut the drive in half. I've done plenty of races doing all the drive on the day before and have learned that kind of stress/effort can be costly to energy levels. We woke up early Friday morning and headed off towards Woodsfield, OH. We stopped at my mom's aunt/uncle's just east of Columbus to visit for a quick bit and also to plan to stay there on Saturday night after the race to limit the drive on Sunday. After the visit, we finished our drive to Woodsfield, where we made our way to the B&B where we would rest for the night. There was a pre-race dinner at a local pizza house on Friday night. All the competitors were present and it quickly hit me how small of a field it was going to be. Fortunately, for me, i enjoy the small tightnit race field we had at this race because ultimately a run like this was a personal endeavor/adventure that i had set out to prove something to myself. I think there was 12 starters in the field covering both sexes and many age brackets. There were some locals as well as some outsiders like me. We enjoyed some great pasta, introduced ourselves to all the competitors and crews as well as received our shirts/jackets. Stories were traded as well as jokes amongst all the previous runners (i was 1 of 2 newcomers). What a great bunch of people to be around the night before we set out to punish our bodies for 12 hours. We headed to the store after dinner to pick up some food, snacks, and supplies for the race and then headed to the B&B for bed.

I'll give the details of the run portion on part 2 ( I have to board a plane for Orlando now).

Last item to note....I had raised a total of $1,235.03 for the St Jude Children's Research Hospital. I want to thank everyone who supported me in any way on this effort whether in running, donations, emotion, etc...Thanks. Stay Tuned.

Later.

PS Go VOTE.

No comments: